Wood Cutting on USAG Alaska land is permitted only in areas designated by the Garrison Forester. Individuals that want to harvest trees for firewood must first obtain and carry on their person a Fort Wainwright Recreation Access Permit (RAP) and Fort Wainwright Wood Cutting Permit.
Wood Cutting on Fort Wainwright Main Post
Due to Covid-19 Army restrictions, non-essential military personnel wishing to cut firewood on Fort Wainwright Main Post must first obtain a wood cutting access permit. To do so:
- Purchase the desired number of cords under My Account;
- Call the iSportsman hotline (907-361-9684). If you receive the voicemail prompt, please leave your name, call back number, the number of cords purchased, and the desired wood cutting area;
- Once approved, you will receive a call within 7 days. You must then obtain an installation access pass at the Visitor Center on Fort Wainwright, located by the front gate on Gaffney road. At the gate, you must present a printed copy of your wood cutting permit along with your valid ID, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance to obtain your pass. A security screening will be required before a pass is given and could result in a denial of access to the installation regardless of purchase.
Please note, bridges across the Chena River connecting Main Post to North Post will be closed for repair until November, so access to north post (including LADD Army Airfield East and West approaches) will need to be through Trainer Gate.
Due to protocols put in place in response to the pandemic, your pass allows access to wood cutting areas only. No other facilities, resources, or services are available to individuals with a wood cutting access permit.
Wood Cutting Permits cost $30.00 ($10.00 per cord, 3 cord minimum purchase - 10 cord maximum) and can be paid with a credit card on-line.
To obtain a wood cutting permit:
You must first obtain a Recreation Access Permit (RAP) you must Register for an iSportsman account by selecting 'Register' located at the top of this pages task bar.
Once you have created your account select 'Acquire Permit(s)' then select the Wood Cutting Permit and follow the prompts for payment.
*Additional cords can be purchased the same way as indicated above. Additional cords can only be purchased if you already have a wood cutting permit. Go into your USARTRAK/isportsman account and select 'Acquire Permit(s)' then select 'Additional Wood Cutting Cord Permit' and follow the prompts for payment.
Fort Wainwright Area Wood Cutting Maps
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Main Cantonment North Post
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Main Cantonment South Post
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Ladd AAF West Approach
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Ladd AAF East Approach
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Yukon Training Area
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Tanana Flats Training Area
Donnelly Training Area Wood Cutting Maps
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Donnelly Training Area
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Gerstle River Training Area
- USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Area Map - Buffalo Drop Zone
More Useful Information on Wood Cutting:
For information on timber sales, please call 907-361-9684