Wood Cutting on USAG Alaska managed lands is permitted only in areas designated by the Garrison Forester. Individuals that want to harvest trees for firewood must first obtain and carry on their person a Fort Wainwright Recreation Access Permit (RAP) and USAG Alaska Wood Cutting Permit.
*** Downed Firewood now available in TA 115 (Lat 64.86385 Long -147.64196) until it is gone. The wood is located at the end of Beacon Road, past the Biathlon Range, near the cell towers, next to the parking lot. Wood cutters are required to check-in to TA 115, possess a current RAP, and possess a Wood Cutting Permit to collect the downed wood.
Ladd Airfield Approach - Specific Restrictions
- TA 114 and Ladd Airfield Approach East is open until the wood is gone.
- No specific large scale wood cutting equipment allowed. These include grappling hooks, loaders, fork lifts, etc.
- Pick-ups, trailers, and chain-saw use is allowed for hand collection only.
- No personal decking of wood allowed (setting aside your own piles).
- 1st come 1st serve until all is gone from designated cutting/collecting areas.
Wood Cutting Permits cost $30.00 ($10.00 per cord, 3 cord minimum purchase - 10 cord maximum) and can be paid with a credit card on-line.
To obtain a wood cutting permit:
You must first obtain a Recreation Access Permit (RAP) you must Register for an iSportsman account by selecting 'Register' located at the top of this pages task bar.
Once you have created your account select 'Acquire Permit(s)' then select the Wood Cutting Permit and follow the prompts for payment.
*Additional cords can be purchased the same way as indicated above. Additional cords can only be purchased if you already have a wood cutting permit. Go into your USARTRAK/isportsman account and select 'Acquire Permit(s)' then select 'Additional Wood Cutting Cord Permit' and follow the prompts for payment.
Fort Wainwright Area Wood Cutting Maps
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Main Cantonment North Post
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Main Cantonment South Post
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Ladd AAF West Approach
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Ladd AAF East Approach
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Yukon Training Area
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Tanana Flats Training Area
Donnelly Training Area Wood Cutting Maps
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Donnelly Training Area
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Donnelly Training Area - TA 517
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Gerstle River Training Area
- Wood Cutting Area Map - Buffalo Drop Zone
More Useful Information on Wood Cutting:
Technical issues: leave a message at 907-361-9684 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org