Hunting on Fort Wainwright (FWA) lands is permitted provided that hunters obtain and carry on their person a Recreation Access Permit (RAP), and all hunting licenses/permits required by the State of Alaska.

Read the current Alaska Hunting Regulations booklet before hunting anywhere in the State of Alaska.  Visiting ADFG offices in Fairbanks or Delta Junction is strongly recommended before hunting.  

Alaska State Game Management Unit 20 requires all hunters 16 years of age or older, or individuals that were born after January 1, 1986, must successfully complete a Basic Hunter Education Course before you hunt.

While hunting, or in possession of firearms, persons under 16 years of age must be under the direct or immediate supervision of an adult 21 years of age or older, who is currently authorized to recreate on USAG Alaska lands, and in full compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.


Hunting Maps


Hunting Restrictions on Fort Wainwright Main Post

Hunting on main post is restricted to north post (see off-limits/closed areas) north of the Chena River by limited methods. 

  • Moose may be taken by bow and arrow and small game can be taken by shotgun using shot shells with size BB shot or smaller. 
  • Handgun and rifle use in conjunction with hunting or fishing on the main post is prohibited.
  • Spotlighting, use of artificial light, or shooting after dark is not allowed on Fort Wainwright Main Post.
  • Moose hunting in the Fairbanks Management Area (North Post Fort Wainwright) is by bow and arrow or cross bow only.  Hunters are required to have completed an archery certification course. See ADFG hunting and fishing regulations for qualifications and application requirement.


Hunting Licenses for Active Duty Military

Active members of armed forces reserves may qualify for a free hunting and fishing license. Active duty members of the military or US Coast Guard, and their dependents, who do not qualify as residents and who are permanently stationed in Alaska may obtain a special military hunting license at the resident rate. See ADFG hunting and fishing regulations for qualifications and application requirement.


For more information regarding hunting and firearms restrictions on Army land please refer to the Fort Wainwright Outdoor Recreation Supplement.



All military and civilian personnel wanting to carry, transport, or store privately owned firearms on Fort Wainwright Main Post must register their firearms with the Directorate of Emergency Services.  Civilians and off-post residents can register their privately-owned firearms at Main Gate Visitor Center immediately upon entry to post. Do NOT bring firearms into the Visitor Center. To register firearms you must have make/model, caliber, and serial number.

All active duty military personnel stationed at Fort Wainwright or the Donnelly Training Area must register their firearms with the Provost Marshal Office.  This provision does not apply to firearms stored off post and brought onto the Military Reservation by a person other than active duty military for authorized recreational purposes. For information regarding weapons registration contact the Fort Wainwright Military Police at 907-353-7535.


Transportation of Loaded Firearms Outside of Cantonment Areas

Privately owned weapons may be transported loaded (outside of cantonment areas) in motorized vehicles and watercraft. Magazines, clips, or revolver cylinders for these firearms may be loaded and/or contained within the weapon itself provided there is no round in the chamber or immediately behind the firing pin or hammer. This policy applies to all personnel on Fort Wainwright’s Tanana Flats Training Area, Yukon Training Area, and Donnelly Training Area lying east of Jarvis Creek, south of the creek’s intersection with 12 Mile crossing and all lands west of the Richardson Highway.  


Commercial guiding and outfitting (as defined by AS 08.54) is prohibited on all FWA controlled land. Persons wishing to provide commercial transportation for hunting, fishing, or other services on FWA land may apply for a land use permit through BLM and a letter of non-objection from the Garrison Commander.