- Hunting on USAG Alaska managed lands is permitted, provided that hunters have a Sikes Act Permit (SAP) and applicable State of Alaska issued hunting licenses/permits in thier possession.
- Read the current Alaska Hunting Regulations booklet before hunting anywhere in the State of Alaska. Visiting ADFG offices in Fairbanks or Delta Junction is strongly recommended before hunting.
- Within Alaska State Game Manement Unit (GMU) 20, all hunters 16 years of age or older (or individuals that were born after January 1, 1986) are required to successfully complete a Basic Hunter Education Course before hunting.
- Anyone 16 or younger must be under the direct supervision of an adult (21 or older) who is currently authorized to recreate on USAG Alaska managed lands while in possession of firearms (or bow and arrow).
- Donnelly Training Area - 2022
- Tanana Flats Training Area - 2022
- Yukon Training Area - 2022
- Fort Wainwright Main Post - 2022
Hunting Restrictions on Main Post
- Moose may be taken by bow and arrow, and small game can be taken by shotgun using shot shells with size BB shot or smaller.
- Handgun and rifle use in conjunction with hunting or fishing on the main post is prohibited.
- Spotlighting, use of artificial light, or shooting after dark is not allowed.
- Moose hunting in the Fairbanks Management Area (North Post Fort Wainwright) is by bow and arrow only. Hunters are required to have completed an archery certification course. See ADFG hunting and fishing regulations for qualifications and application requirement.
Hunting Licenses for Active Duty Military
Active members of armed forces reserves may qualify for a free hunting and fishing license. Active duty members of the military or US Coast Guard, and their dependents, who do not qualify as residents and who are permanently stationed in Alaska may obtain a special military hunting license at the resident rate. See ADFG hunting and fishing regulations for qualifications and application requirement.
For more information regarding hunting and firearms restrictions on Army land please refer to the Fort Wainwright Outdoor Recreation Supplement.
- All military and civilian personnel wanting to carry, transport, or store privately owned firearms on Main Post must register their firearms with the Directorate of Emergency Services.
- Civilians and off-post residents can register their privately-owned firearms at the Main Gate Visitor Center immediately upon entry to post. To register firearms, you must provide the make/model, caliber, and serial numbe. Do NOT bring firearms into the Visitor Center.
- All active duty military personnel stationed at Fort Wainwright or Fort Greely a must register their firearms. This provision does not apply to firearms stored off post and brought onto the Military Reservation by a person other than active duty military for authorized recreational purposes. For information regarding weapons registration contact the Fort Wainwright Military Police at 907-353-7535 or Fort Greely Visister Center 907-873-3663.
Transportation of Loaded Firearms Outside of Cantonment Areas
Privately owned weapons may be transported loaded (outside of cantonment areas) in motorized vehicles and watercraft. Magazines, clips, or revolver cylinders for these firearms may be loaded and/or contained within the weapon itself provided there is no round in the chamber or immediately behind the firing pin or hammer. This policy applies to all personnel on Fort Wainwright’s Tanana Flats Training Area, Yukon Training Area, and Donnelly Training Area lying east of Jarvis Creek, south of the creek’s intersection with 12 Mile crossing and all lands west of the Richardson Highway.
Commercial guiding and outfitting (as defined by AS 08.54) is prohibited on all USAG Alaska managed lands. Persons wishing to provide commercial transportation for hunting, fishing, or other services on USAG Alaska managed land may apply for a land use permit through BLM and a letter of non-objection from the Garrison Commander.
Technical issues: leave a message at 907-361-9684 or email: email@example.com