Black Bear Baiting
Black bear baiting on US Army Garrison Alaska (USAGAK) Land is permitted provided that hunters register their bait station(s) with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADFG) and with USAGAK.isportsman, obtain and carry on their person a USAGAK Recreational Access Permit (RAP) and all hunting licenses and permits required by the State of Alaska.
Black bear bait registration for the Yukon, Tanana, Donnelly, and Gerstle River Training Area is done online at https://usagak.isportsman.net/. Remember Army training takes priority over recreation, the area you wish to bear bait in might be off limits to bear baiting or could be closed for training. Check the off-limits to bear baiting areas under the Maps Tab or click Here: Tanana Flats and Yukon Training Areas (TA's) or Donnelly, Gerstle River Training Areas (TAs)
You are no longer required to register your bait station in person at Fort Wainwright or Donnelly Training Area, black bear registration is online now. Black bear online registration begins April 1 each year. Fish and Game typically opens black bear baiting on April 15. Check your ADFG Hunting Regulations.
How to register a bear bait station on USAGAK Lands:
1. Make sure you have a current Recreation Access Permit (RAP).
2. Register your black bear bait station with ADF&G
3. To get the USAGAK black bear baiting permit Sign into your isportsman account and click on 'Aquire Permit(s)', select the black bear baiting permit and then follow the promts for free payment.
4. You will be required to provide accuarate GPS coordinates, ADG&G black bear bait registration number and state hunting license number.
NOTE: All bear bait registrants and other hunters that are going to hunt at the registrants bait station will aslo need a black a bear bait permit.
Fort Wainwright Bear Baiting Regulations:
Black Bear Baiting is an early spring activity and is allowed in the Tanana Flats, Yukon, Donnelly and Gerstle River Training Areas; however the following restrictions apply:
- You must register your bait station with ADF&G first and then on line at USAGAK.isportsman.
- You may not register a bait station in Unit 20 unless you have successfully completed the ADF&G Bear Bait Clinic.
- Bear bait stations may be registered 15 days prior to the season opening, usually the first working day of April.
- No bait station will be allowed closer than ½ mile from the next bait station.
- No bait station will be allowed within ¼ mile of a publicly maintained road, trail, or stocked lake.
- No person will set up a bait station within 1 mile of a school, business, permanent dwelling including seasonally-occupied cabins, developed recreational facility or campground, business, stocked lake, designated training facility, firing point, observation point (OP), bivouac, or Battery.
- An individual may set up two bear bait stations on the Donnelly, Gerstle River or in the Tanana Flats TA. Only one stand per hunter may be set up in the Yukon TA; however a second stand may be set up in other locations.
- Bait stations; including barrels, buckets, stands, trash, and contaminated soil must be completely removed at the close of the baiting season. (June 30)
For state bear baiting regulations, see the current ADF&G Bear Baiting Seasons and Requirements.
For more information about bear baiting on USAGAK Lands including closed/off-limit areas please refer to the US Army Garrison Alaska Outdoor Recreation Supplement.